A suspect who had barricaded himself inside a Michigan hotel room was taken into custody Thursday night after allegedly injuring one person in what authorities described as a dispute with staff over money.
Michigan State Police said in a tweet shortly before 9 p.m. that the barricaded gunman had been taken into custody without incident. The suspect was not identified.
Earlier in the day, Dearborn Police Chief Issa Shahin told reporters that authorities were negotiating with the man, who was armed with a long gun, and “working toward a peaceful resolution.”
“It’s gonna be a waiting game,” he said. “We’re working through it.”
The condition of the victim, who Shahin did not identify, wasn’t immediately clear.
Calls came in at 1:09 p.m. about shots fired at a Hampton Inn on Michigan Avenue near downtown Dearborn. Police secured the area and immediately evacuated people from the building, Shahin said.
The Detroit division of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives responded and urged people to avoid the area.
Michigan State Police tweeted at 2:12 p.m. that the suspect was still firing shots.
A spokesperson for the state police said at the time that the area is dangerous and cautioned that “this person is still liable to shoot at people walking in this area.”
After the suspect was taken into custody, state police said Michigan Avenue remained closed as the investigation continued.